Northside Presbyterian Church is holding worship service INSIDE the sanctuary, at 10 am. We will continue to broadcast our services on Facebook Live, so if you cannot attend, or are uncomfortable doing so, you will still be able to participate from home.
Here’s how we plan to do it, to keep each of us as safe as possible:
- Please wear a mask. (If you don’t have one, or forget to bring one, we will have masks available for you.)
- We will have hand sanitizer for your use as you enter the narthex.
- Entrance into the building will be through the “middle” front doors or through a door off the driveway between our building and Normal Park Elementary. Ushers will guide you.
- You will leave the building through the “side” front doors. Again, ushers will guide you.
- Once inside the sanctuary, an usher will help you find a seat. We will be socially distant from each other, alternating pews, etc.
- As you might imagine, there will be no coffee or cookies, no hugging or handshaking, and we have not yet determined how or when communion might be served.
- An usher will take down your name as you enter, so that we can contact you should we discover a possible exposure to coronavirus.
- We will not have a nursery or church school classes or children’s church; at least not yet.
- We will have our “air handlers” turned on and windows and doors open, weather permitting.
Once our worship service begins, this is what you can expect:
- A full complement of “service” music: doxology, Gloria, etc.
- Organ music, as well as piano. We are lining up various stringed instruments for future special music.
- Two scripture readings and a call and response liturgy from pulpit and lecture.
- However, due to being inside, there will be no congregational singing.
- Offering plates will not be passed but will be available in the sanctuary.
- There might even be a sermon!
- And you will see each other and be comforted by the sights and sounds of our sanctuary. It’s still there. It will feel good to be there. Life goes on! God bless you—and see you on Sunday morning (at 10 am)!
If you have any questions about Sunday, or anything else pertaining to Northside Church, do not hesitate to contact me about it.
Paul Rader, Pastor
Paul Rader is the pastor at Northside Presbyterian. Paul was born and raised in Ironton, Ohio, a small town located across the river from Ashland, Kentucky. He attended Pikeville College in Pikeville, Kentucky and began attending First Presbyterian Church while there, primarily because it was within walking distance of his dorm.
He continued his education at the Graduate School of Theology at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, Virginia, and Columbia Theological Seminary in Decatur, Georgia.
Paul has served congregations in Ashland, KY, and Huntington, WV. and was the Coordinator for Mission for the Coalition for Appalachian Ministry, which brought him to Knoxville. He was a Parish Associate at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Knoxville and was the Associate Pastor at First Presbyterian Church, also in Knoxville, before coming to Northside.
He likes to read, hike, go antiquing, work around the yard and refinish furniture.
Paul is married to Linda, they have three children—Lindsey, Gresha, and Thomas—all living in the Knoxville area, and three grandchildren—Ava, Allie & Brooks—also in Knoxville. He also has Lucy Blu, the Golden Doodle, frequent goodwill ambassador for Northside Presbyterian.