NORTHSIDE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Northside has been a central part of Riverview/North Chattanooga for more than 114 years. Just as North Chattanooga is diverse politically and socially, Northside is a full spectrum Church. We have members to the right and left who love one another. All people are welcome. Jeans and suits feel comfortable next to one another. The Church is for people who live in North Chattanooga as well as throughout the City.
Northside Learning Center
Northside Learning Center was founded in the Spring of 1967. It has provided care and learning for many children. It currently has the highest possible rating by the State of Tennessee. It is currently directed by Leslie Morris, who is a lifetime member at Northside Presbyterian. Many of the teachers and staff are also church members.
Rose Longgley Neighborhood House (now Northside Neighborhood House)
Rose Longgley Neighborhood House (now Northside Neighborhood House) was founded by two Northside Presbyterian members, Rose Longgley and Emily Page Schlessinger, in 1923. This organization provides a hand up through education and assistance for residents who live North of the River (areas including North Chattanooga, Red Bank, Hixson, Soddy Daisy, and Bakewell). Many of the directors of this charity have been members of Northside Presbyterian Church.
Presbyterian Women have been active since 1921. These members have been active in many areas including world-focused missions.
Northside Presbyterian Church began on November 7, 1886 at a home located on the corner of Jarnigan Avenue and Baker Street. Its first building was constructed in 1888. In 1910 the land where the current building is located was purchased for $3,500.00 and in 1916 the present Greek Revival building was constructed at a cost of $30,000.00. A church school annex was added in 1926. In 1958, the education building was initiated at a cost of $170,000.00. The Sanctuary was remodeled in the 1960s. Two major renovations took place in both the 1980s and 1990s. The result has been a more modern and functional structure with elevator and modern offices.
In 2001, Northside was blessed with 99 new members from Central Presbyterian Church who chose to continue the Central traditions in conjunction with Northside.
Northside Presbyterian Church looks forward to the future of our ministry.